Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The Baby Beebee Bird

The Baby Beebee Bird

Written by Diane Redfield Massie
Illustrated by Steven Kellogg


Every now and then, I come across certain books that take me back to my childhood, complete with all of the memories of reading it with my mom.  We would climb up on her bed and she would read a big stack of books to us as we all crowded around her.  I came across The Baby Beebee Bird in the library, and even though it was a reprint edition with new illustrations from Steven Kellogg, it brought back some fond memories.  

The story was originally published in 1963, and tells the tale of a little baby bird and its arrival at the zoo.  All of the animals are tired at the end of the day, and ready to go to bed, but the Beebee bird has just woken up and is ready to sing!  Much to the dismay of the rest of the zoo, the baby bird sings all night long.  "Beebeebobbibobbi beebeebobbibobbi...." is the song that the little bird sings with all of its heart.

After a sleepless night, lion comes up with a plan that just might work to get the baby bird back on a sleeping schedule that works for everyone.  The plot reminds me of parents bringing home newborns from the hospital, and the dilemma that they encounter when the baby is wide awake during the night, and sleepy during the day.  

I love that it has become a favorite around our house, and I hope my little ones ones will remember it with as much fondness as I have.  

Happy Reading!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment